One of the great things about yoga is that you can do it practically anywhere. And creating a dedicated yoga space at home can be a wonderful way to enhance your practice and deepen your connection with yourself.
Here’s some tips on how you can bring those zen vibes to your home yoga space.
- Choose your space: Choose a space in your home that is quiet, well-ventilated, and free from distractions. Ideally, it should be a space that you can dedicate solely to your yoga practice. Whether it’s the corner of your bedroom or living room, on your deck or balcony, or in an entirely separate room in your house, having a dedicated space allows you to focus solely on your practice. It becomes your sanctuary where you can leave your worries and concerns aside. Just make sure there is enough space around you, so you don’t break anything!
- Choose calming colours: Colour can play a big role in creating a feeling of calm. If you can, choose a space with muted cooler tones or warmer whites for the walls. Blues and greens can be great for relaxation.
- Declutter the space: Remove any unnecessary items from the space to create a calm and serene environment. If possible, try to have a minimalist setup with only the necessary yoga props and equipment.
- Lighting: Lighting can have a big impact on our mood and ability to relax. If possible, choose a space that has access to filtered natural light. Filtered natural light is soothing and can help to create a calming atmosphere. If you don't have access to natural light, choose soft lighting options or consider installing a dimmer switch. You could purchase a lamp to dimly light your space.
- Incorporate plants: Adding plants to your home yoga space is a must and can help to improve the air quality and create a peaceful environment. Adding plants will help you to connect to nature during your practice and give you a sense of peace. Plants that require minimal water and upkeep include succulents, cacti, ferns and snake plants. If you’re not a green thumb you could use some artificial plants to create those zen yoga vibes.
- Personalise the space: Make the space your own by adding personal touches like inspirational quotes, a picture or photo or a statue. It doesn’t matter what it is as long as it gives you inspiration and makes you happy.
- Consider a mirror: A full size mirror can help you to maintain your form and alignment during your practice. It can also help when you are trying new or more challenging poses. Large mirrors can be expensive but it’s worth it if you can.
- Incorporate candles or incense: Candles and incense set a relaxing mood and will help you get into the right mindset when practicing at home. Choose a scent that works for you.
- Sound and music: Choose music or sounds that are calming and relaxing to help you get into the right mindset for your practice. Place a small Bluetooth speaker in your space so you can play music that helps you to unwind. Meditation playlists are peaceful and will help you to unwind.
- Invest in the essential yoga equipment: A good quality natural yoga mat can make a huge difference to your practice. It should be comfortable, supportive, and non-slip. One or two cork yoga blocks and a yoga strap are also good inclusions. It’s also worth considering adding a bolster and a blanket especially if you practice yin or restorative yoga.
- Keep your space clean and inviting: In between practices store your equipment in a natural wicker basket to maintain those natural earthy vibes. Try to keep your space clean and fresh so it always looks inviting.
By creating a dedicated yoga space at home, you can make your practice more consistent and enjoyable. Remember, the most important thing is to create a space that feels comfortable and inviting to you.