Grounding, also known as earthing, refers to the practice of connecting your body to the earth's natural electric charge. So things like walking barefoot in the grass, lying on the earth or even swimming in the ocean are examples of grounding.
It is definitely an under-researched topic but the most recent scientific research shows that electrical charges from the earth can have positive effects on our bodies.
Some of the benefits of grounding can include:
- Reduced inflammation: Grounding can help reduce inflammation in the body by neutralising free radicals and decreasing the activity of pro-inflammatory molecules.
- Improved sleep: Grounding has been shown to improve the quality and duration of sleep by regulating cortisol levels, which can disrupt sleep patterns.
- Increased energy levels: Grounding may increase energy levels by improving blood flow, oxygenation, and circulation.
- Reduced stress and anxiety: Grounding can help regulate the autonomic nervous system, which can reduce stress and anxiety levels.
- Improved immune function: Grounding has been shown to improve immune function by increasing the activity of white blood cells and reducing oxidative stress.
- Decreased pain: Grounding has been found to be effective in reducing pain in various conditions, including fibromyalgia, arthritis, and neuropathy.
We absolutely love the concept of ‘earthing’ or ‘grounding’ and when we started Second Earth, we wanted to design a product that was not only sustainable and planet-friendly, we wanted to create something special that would benefit every single person that stepped on to one of our mats. It was our vision to blend the power of mother nature with modern design. We also wanted to bring the very origins of yoga to the 21st century.
Yoga dates back as far as 5,000 years ago in northern India and back then, it was common for yogi's to practice barefoot on the earth to feel the connection with nature.And this inspired us to create a yoga mat that was as close as possible to being on your own little piece of earth – your second earth. Our flagship and award winning 2E ‘Connected’ mat is made entirely of natural materials to replicate the earth and connect you to it during your yoga practice (but with the comforts of 21st century technology ;-)).